Somerville Primary school
Admissions: Somerville School follows the local authority procedures on admissions arrangements. These can be accessed by clicking on the link below:
About the School
Somerville Primary School is a three form entry Victorian school originally opened in 1894. The school has a standard number of 90 children in each year group for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2. At Year 3 the year group is expanded to 96 pupils, which continues throughout Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6.
An extension to house 52 full-time equivalent Nursery and all of the Early Years and Key Stage 1 pupils opened in September 2006. The school is in a good state of repair and recent improvements have meant that the school is much better equipped to address the needs of its pupils.
The normal admission number is 96 per Year in Key Stage Two but in September 2015, to help the local authority, Somerville School took an additional 32 children into Year 3, making a total of 128 pupils in Year 3.
Somerville Primary School cannot admit any more pupils above its published admission number without prejudice to the provision of efficient education and the efficient use of resources for the following reasons:
- Each class of children has a class room which is of appropriate size but extra pupils would restrict learning opportunities and raise concern for Health and Safety.
- There are no vacant classrooms in the school.
- There are two halls, both of which are used for Physical Education and dinners and all celebratory assemblies.
- There are several classrooms around the halls and access to these classrooms is via the hall.
- The playground used by the younger children is well equipped to support appropriate outdoor activities but increased numbers of children would limit the time available.
- From age 6 onwards, children have access to a larger play area which is across the public pathway.
- The play area can comfortably accommodate up to 300 children at any one time but is accessed by one entrance and, again, increased numbers would impact on health and safety.
In the original building storage space is very limited and pupils’ coats and possessions are on coat pegs in the corridors.