Somerville Primary School
Somerville School follows the local authority procedures on admissions arrangements. These can be accessed by clicking on the link below:
About the School
Somerville Primary School is a three form entry Victorian school originally opened in 1894. The school has a standard number of 90 children in each year group for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2. At Year 3 the year group is expanded to 96 pupils, which continues throughout Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6.
An extension to house 52 full-time equivalent Nursery and all of the Early Years and Key Stage 1 pupils opened in September 2006. The school is in a good state of repair and recent improvements have meant that the school is much better equipped to address the needs of its pupils.
Somerville Primary School cannot admit any more pupils above its published admission number without prejudice to the provision of efficient education and the efficient use of resources for the following reasons:
- Each class of children has a class room which is of appropriate size but extra pupils would restrict learning opportunities and raise concern for Health and Safety.
- There are no vacant classrooms in the school.
- There are two halls, both of which are used for Physical Education and dinners and all celebratory assemblies.
- There are several classrooms around the halls and access to these classrooms is via the hall.
- The playground used by the younger children is well equipped to support appropriate outdoor activities but increased numbers of children would limit the time available.
- From age 6 onwards, children have access to a larger play area which is across the public pathway.
- The play area can comfortably accommodate up to 300 children at any one time but is accessed by one entrance and, again, increased numbers would impact on health and safety.
In the original building storage space is very limited and pupils’ coats and possessions are on coat pegs in the corridors.
Somerville Primary School Application
Your application for a place at this school will be processed in line with Birmingham City Council Admissions Guidelines and then placed on our school waiting list. If/when a place becomes available we will contact you by phone call and/or in writing therefore it is VERY IMPORTANT that you contact us and update your details if ever they change. If we do not hear from you when an offer letter has been sent we will have to offer the place to the next child on our waiting list.
VERY IMPORTANT- WAITING LIST
Your child/children will be placed onto our school waiting list and will remain there for the current academic year only. Your child/children’s application will be removed from the waiting list when the school closes at the end of the school year in July.
If you would like your child/children to remain on the waiting list, you will need to re-apply in September.
*This is a new ongoing process, you will not receive reminder letters. It is your responsibility to notify the school to remain on the waiting list- a new application must be made if your child’s application is removed.