15 .How can I find out about the Local Authority’s ‘Local Offer’ for pupils with special needs?


Every local authority in England has a duty to provide children and young people, (0-25 years) with support if they have Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities - this is known as the Local Offer.

The LA’s ‘Local Offer’ will provide parents with information about all the arrangements and services available throughout Birmingham for children with any type of special need or disability.

Other organisations that may be able to help:

  • Autism West Midlands (https://autismwestmidlands.org.uk/)
  • Downs Syndrome Association (https://www.downs-syndrome.org.uk/)
  • British Dyslexia Association (https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/)
  • Dyspraxia Foundation (https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/)
  • Birmingham NHS Speech and Language Service (https://www.bhamcommunity.nhs.uk/patients-public/children-and-young-people/services-parent-portal/birmingham-slt/)

National Deaf Society for Children (https://www.ndcs.org.uk)

  • Birmingham NHS ADHD Service (Nurse led service for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - https://www.bhamcommunity.nhs.uk/patients-public/children-and-young-people/services-parent-portal/neurodevelopmental-pathway/adhd/)
  • School Nurse
  • Your own GP