8. What training and expertise do the staff at Somerville have?
- All teachers at the school are qualified and teaching assistants have at least NVQ level 3.
- Many staff undertake further training to develop their skills across a variety of aspects of school life.
- The school plans a programme of ‘Continuous Professional Development’ (CPD) which is designed to develop members of staff according to both their needs and the needs of the school.
- A number of the specialist services which support children with special needs within school also provide our staff with training either in school or on courses. For example members of staff have recently undertaken training in supporting children with Autism and in catering for the needs of hearing impaired pupils.
- Some members of the Inclusion Team have specific responsibilities for individuals or groups of pupils and so receive specialised training. There is a lead practitioner for Autism, a teaching assistant who delivers physiotherapy and another who manages the needs of the pupils with hearing loss.